Many people don’t realize it but wine—specifically red wine—is a health drink if consumed in moderation. This is because studies show that red wine is rich in antioxidants.
More and more scientific findings show that red wine owes its health benefits from the high level of antioxidants called “resveratrol,” a kind of polyphenol known as “phytoalexin.” This is a group of compounds plants use to defend themselves against attacks such as untimely stress, possible injuries, or UV irradiation and certain diseases such as fungus and infection.
Resveratrol is known to be present in the seeds and skins of processed and fermented grapes during the rigorous process of making red wine. And, because of the long process and prolonged fermentation of grapes in red-wine making, high levels of resveratrol are found to be present in each bottle of red wine.
Red wine wonders
Nowadays, many people are using red wine as a health drink during their meals because they believe that since it is rich in antioxidants, red wine can help veer them away from certain terminal illness as well as to all forms of diseases that come with aging. The following are just some of the believed benefits of red wine as a heath drink:
– Helps in the prevention of developing various neuro-degenerative illnesses and diseases. Many studies show that because of the high resveratrol content of red wine, it can help people—especially those who are getting older—to develop diseases and illnesses that are common to them like Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. Red wine is also believed to suspend the possible progression of dementia especially to older ones.
– Good for the heart. Experts agree that the specific substances in red wines like tannins and flavoniods can raise the levels of good cholesterol or high-density lipoproteins (HDL) in the person’s blood. The red wine’s antioxidant properties can also help in the reduction of bad cholesterol or low-density lipoproteins (LDL). Once LDL levels are decreased, there is lesser chances of developing cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks and stroke.
– Prevents certain cancers. Many people who are prone to the “Big C” are using red wine as a health drink because of the wonders brought by resveratrol in it. Experts believe that regular but moderate consumption of red wine can help fight possible cancer cells from proliferating and thus, preventing the development of the disease eventually.
– Reduces the harmful effects of food poisoning. Another noted benefit of red wine is that it can lessen the toxicity brought by spoiled food. The properties in red wine can help cleanse the body from toxins and also help in avoiding dysentery as well as diarrhea.
– Prevents and possibly cures certain gum diseases. Smokers are the ones who are prone to gum diseases. But there are also those who also experience gum diseases that are usually caused by inflamed muscles in the gums and weakened tooth. By using red wine as a health drink, experts believe that the polyphenols present in this can help reduce the presence of free radicals that cause the infection the and bacteria proliferation inside the person’s mouth.
– Serves as blood thinner. For people with high blood pressure, red wine is an ideal health drink because it contains blood pressure lowering-substances and compounds that are effective in lowering high blood pressure.
– Provides healthy skin. For people who are after maintaining youthful skin, red wine can be a good health drink option because the number of polyphenols present in average consumption can prevent the damages brought by cell oxidation processes.