There is nothing better than cataract surgery in removing formed cataracts. There are three ways which this is done:
- the lens is dissolved using ultrasonic vibrations in the procedure Phacoemulsification;
- the lens is wholly removed and replaced with an artificial one in Extracapsular cataract surgery;
- the procedure where not only the lens is removed but as well as the surrounding capsule is called Intracapsular cataract surgery.
If you are scheduled to go through a surgery, then it is a must that the different cataract surgery lens is understood.
To see images without distortion, the lens of the human eye must direct the light towards the retina. The removal of the lens with the surrounding capsule will necessitate the positioning of the artificial lens in front of the iris because the lens can no longer transmit light in the right way. Artificial lenses are not so different from natural lenses in terms of function as they still direct light towards the retina located at the back of the eyes. Artificial lenses are good replacements because they don’t easily dislodge, looks and also feels very natural.
The following are the different kinds of cataract surgery lenses:
- The Monofocal Lens which is the most frequently used lens in cataract surgeries that offer wider focus. This lens has the sharpest focus at the given distance. People who have this usually utilize a pair of light spectacles and use reading glasses.
- Toric Lens is different from the monofocal lens in the sense that it is more focused. Patients with astigmatism are the ones who are more likely candidates for Toric lens. The use of Toric lens (if positioned aptly) corrects the underlying astigmatism problem. Simple tasks like writing or reading can be done using corrective spectacles after the surgery has been done.
- Multifocal Lens is regarded as one of the most advanced lenses. The lens let the person to see in several distances. However, this lens does not suit all eye types and still require the use of glasses or special contact lenses to attain clear vision.